Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Week two and math lesson


Math lesson:

Today I taught a math lesson on subtraction of two digit numbers using regrouping. Overall, I felt the lesson went well. The class was divided into two small groups which seems to be the most effective way to work with our diverse group of students.  For the lesson, the students in each group had to use a number spinner to come up with two digit numbers to subtract the numbers on their own worksheet.  I thought this was a good concept, and the kids really seemed to enjoy using the spinner.  One of the kids did have trouble using the spinner, and needed some extra help from me.  Next time I might pair the students in groups of two so that if one is having trouble, they can get help from their classmate.  The students who finished early played a self-checking game which I found very helpful to reinforce the skill that was just taught. 

Overall I though the lesson was successful, and I think I would use it again with a few modifications.  I think the use of spinners made the concept of subtracting more exciting and more motivating to our students.  It was a lot of fun!

Leane and I have been having a little bit of difficulty with behavior management of our students this week.  It was getting frustrating, but they pulled it together today.  I was so impressed with their skills!  Hopefully our chain of positivity will increase their probability for a pizza party.  They are very motivated to eat bacon pizza!    

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun lesson. I like the use of the paper clip spinner because it used something that you would have in class and you didn't need to buy something expensive for that. (I think I need to be the taste tester for the bacon pizza! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for teaching math. I love using the spinner to select numbers to subtract. I will tuck that one in my hat to use sometime!

    ReplyDelete